The St. James's Macaroni
- Additional Title(s):
The St. Jame's Macaroni
The St James's Macaroni
- Etching on medium, moderately textured, blued white laid paper
- Sheet: 12 11/16 x 9 7/16 inches (32.3 x 24 cm), Plate: 10 9/16 x 6 7/8 inches (26.8 x 17.4 cm), and Image: 9 1/16 x 6 5/16 inches (23 x 16 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower left: "44535 (encircled)"
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "HWBunbury delin. 1772."; lower center: "THE ST. JAMES'S | MACARONI | Publish'd as the Act directs March, 29, 1772. by J. Bretherton No. 134 New Bond Street."; lower right: "J. Bretherton f."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bow (costume accessory) | breeches (trousers) | caricature | coat | collar | costume | fashion | figure study | frills | humor | macaroni | man | parody | profile (figure) | satire | sword | tricorne | waistcoat | wig
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by James Bretherton, ca. 1730–1806, British, The St. James's Macaroni, 1772
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.