- Strephon and Chloe
- Etching on medium, moderately textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 10 1/16 x 13 1/16 inches (25.5 x 33.2 cm), Plate: 9 3/8 x 11 15/16 inches (23.8 x 30.3 cm), and Image: 8 1/2 x 11 7/16 inches (21.6 x 29 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower left: "44568 (encircled)"
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "J. Bretherton f."; lower center: "No. 134. | Strephon & Chloe. | Pubd July 1 1801 by S. W. Fores 50 Piccdilly [sic]."; lower right: "Mr. Bunbury del."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- actors | advertisement | audience | bag wig | bow (costume accessory) | caricature | casement windows | costume | dance | dancing | dress | frill | gesture | gown | grin | grotesque | humor | interior | man | parody | performance | play | poem | ruffles | satire | sign | smiling | stage | Strephon and Chloe, 1731 | tricorne | wig | windows | woman
- Associated People:
- Swift, Jonathan (1667–1745), writer and dean of St Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin
Chloe, from Jonathan Swift's poem "Strephon and Chloe"
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by James Bretherton, ca. 1730–1806, British, Strephon and Chloe, 1801
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.