Strephon and Chloe
- Additional Title(s):
Strephon & Chloe
Strephon and Cloe
- Etching on medium, moderately textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 10 1/16 x 13 1/16 inches (25.5 x 33.2 cm), Plate: 9 3/8 x 11 15/16 inches (23.8 x 30.3 cm), and Image: 8 1/2 x 11 7/16 inches (21.6 x 29 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower left: "44568 (encircled)"
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "J. Bretherton f."; lower center: "No. 134. | Strephon & Chloe. | Pubd July 1 1801 by S. W. Fores 50 Piccdilly [sic]."; lower right: "Mr. Bunbury del."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- actors | advertisement | audience | bag wig | bow (costume accessory) | caricature | casement windows | costume | dance | dancing | dress | frill | gesture | gown | grin | grotesque | humor | interior | man | parody | performance | play | poem | ruffles | satire | sign | smiling | stage | Strephon and Chloe, 1731 | tricorne | wig | windows | woman
- Associated People:
- Swift, Jonathan (1667–1745), writer and dean of St Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin
Chloe, from Jonathan Swift's poem "Strephon and Chloe"
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by James Bretherton, ca. 1730–1806, British, Strephon and Chloe, 1801
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.