Overthrow of Dr. Slop
- Part Of:
- between 1773 and 1817
- Hand-colored etching on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- 11 5/16 x 17 11/16 inches (28.7 x 45 cm), 9 3/4 x 13 11/16 inches (24.7 x 34.7 cm), and 8 1/4 x 12 11/16 inches (21 x 32.2 cm)
Lettered, in black ink, lower left under image: "H Bunbury Esqr Del"; lower left: "When Obadiah & his Coach Horse turned the Corner furious pop full him, | nothing can be more Ter^rible in Nature than such a,""; lower center: "The Overthrow of Dr. Slop"; lower right: "recounter Obadiah pull'd of his Cap twice to D.r Slop Once when he was | falling & again when he was (was struck out thrice) saw him seated; vide vol. 1st Tristram Stu"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- boots | caricature | church | dog (animal) | falling | hats | horses (animals) | illustration | laughing | literary theme | novel | physician | pony | puddle | riding | road | saluting | sign | The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman, by Laurence Sterne (1713-1768) | The Overthrow of Dr. Slop (from Volume 1 of Tristram Shandy) | trees | vest | wall | whip | wig
- Associated People:
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Henry William Bunbury, 1750–1811, British, Overthrow of Dr. Slop, between 1773 and 1817
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.