The Siege of Namur
- Additional Title(s):
The Siege of Namur by Capt Shandy & Corporal Trim
- Part Of:
- between 1773 and 1817
- Hand-colored etching on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 11 1/4 x 17 13/16 inches (28.5 x 45.2 cm), Plate: 9 13/16 x 13 3/4 inches (25 x 34.9 cm), Image: 8 1/4 x 12 11/16 inches (21 x 32.2 cm)
Lettered, center left inside print: "Gate of | St. Nicolus"; lower right inside image: "H Bunbury Del"; lower left: "What an honest Triumph [...] uncle Toby's Eyes as he march'd to | the Ramparts with the Gazette in his hand & Trim with a pickaxe"; lower center: "The Siege of Namur by Capt Shandy | & Corporal Trim"; lower right: "ready to execute the contents, what Intense pleasure in his Eyes | and he stood over the Corperal Heaven & earth Sea, vide Tris Sh"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- attacking | boots | captain | caricature | corporal | crutch | fences | gate | gazette | grass | hairstyling | hills | illustration | jacket | literary theme | mallet | map | novel | pickaxe | rocks (landforms) | siege | The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman, by Laurence Sterne (1713-1768) | The Siege of Namur by Captain Shandy and Corporal Trim (from Tristram Shandy) | trees | tricorn | wig
- Associated People:
- Trim (from Tristram Shandy)
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Henry William Bunbury, 1750–1811, British, The Siege of Namur, between 1773 and 1817
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.