The Battle of the Cataplasm
- Part Of:
- between 1773 and 1817
- Hand-colored etching on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 11 1/8 x 17 3/4 inches (28.2 x 45.1 cm), Plate: 9 3/4 x 13 11/16 inches (24.8 x 34.8 cm), Image: 8 1/16 x 12 5/8 inches (20.5 x 32 cm)
Lettered, lower left under image: "H Bunbury Esqr Del"; lower center under image: "The Battle of the Cataplasm. vide Tris Shandy Vol 4"; lower center: "Susannah rowing one way & looking another, set Fire to Dr. Slops wig which being somewhat bushy & ridiculous with all was as soon burnt as kindled__you Impudent Whore cried Splops for what is | Passion but a wild Beast, you Impudent whore cried Slop, getting upright with teh Cataplasm in his hand__I never was the destruction of any body's nose said Susannah, which is more thna you can say is it Cried Slop | Throwing the cataplasm in her face yes it is cried Susannah returning the compliment with what was left in the pan."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- angry | baby | broken | candle | children | clock | cradle | crib | fire | gesturing | illustration | literary theme | men | mirror | nose | novel | physician | pinching | plaster | screen | servant | shouting | smoke | stool | The Battle of the Cataplasm (from Tristram Shandy) | The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman, by Laurence Sterne (1713-1768) | throwing | tricorn | wig | woman
- Associated People:
- Susannah (from Tristram Shandy)
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Henry William Bunbury, 1750–1811, British, The Battle of the Cataplasm, between 1773 and 1817
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.