The Margate Hoy
- Materials & Techniques:
- Etching, aquatint and hand-coloring on moderately thick, slightly textured, gray laid paper
- Sheet: 11 15/16 × 18 inches (30.4 × 45.7 cm), Image: 8 1/8 × 17 5/8 inches (20.7 × 44.7 cm)
Lettered, upper left inside image" "THE MARGATE HOY"; lower left inside image: "C: Catton . S"; lower center inside image: "London Published 19th Aug 1785 by W. Hinton No 5 Sweetings Alley Royal Exhange Cornhill"; lower center inside image, painted or inked over with black, difficult to decipher: "Pub May 10 1785 | for the Proprietors | by Tho Ravenhill | N 91 Fleet Street | London"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bags | baskets | boat | bottles | buckets | caricature | coats | drinking | food | games | ill | marine art | obese | ribbons | sail | satire | scarves | sea | ship | sick | spoons | sunbonnets | tricorns | ugly | wine
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Charles Catton the elder RA, 1728–1798, British, The Margate Hoy, 1785
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.