The Cotillion Dance
- Additional Title(s):
The Cotillon Dance
- Line engraving and etching on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 10 1/16 × 13 9/16 inches (25.5 × 34.4 cm), Image: 9 7/16 × 12 15/16 inches (23.9 × 32.9 cm)
Collector's mark, verso: Paul Mellon
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "Jno. Collet pinx. | London, Printed for Robt. Sayer, No. 53 Fleet Street, & Jno. Smith, No. 35 Cheapside."; lower center: "THE COTILLION DANCE."; lower right: "Jas. Caldwall Sculp. | Published as the Act directs, 10 March, 1771."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- audience | ball (party) | ballroom | bows (costume accessories) | breeches (trousers) | caricature | coats | costume | cotillion | cravats | dance | dancers | dancing | door | dresses | flounces | flute | genre subject | humor | interior | men | music | musical instruments | musicians | observers | orchestra (stage space) | parody | performance | petticoats | ruffles | ruffs | satire | smiling | stairs | tambourine | violin | wigs | women | wreaths
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by James Caldwall, 1739–1819, British, The Cotillion Dance, 1771
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.