Castle Above a Waterfall
- Additional Title(s):
Two Men at Base of Waterfall
- ca. 1830
- Soft-ground etching on medium, moderately textured, dark blue wove paper, laid in mount
- Sheet: 7 x 5 3/16 inches (17.8 x 13.2 cm), Plate: 6 3/4 x 5 1/16 inches (17.2 x 12.8 cm), and Image (no border): 6 5/16 x 4 3/4 inches (16.1 x 12.1 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower right to upper right, written vertically from top to bottom: "[...]y Monsh[...] (?)"; on mount, lower left: "Cotman, J. S."; on mount, lower center: "Two men at base of waterfall"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- castle | cliffs | genre subject | geology | hills | landscape | men | mountains | river | staff (walking stick) | stream | trees | waterfall
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by John Sell Cotman, 1782–1842, British, Castle Above a Waterfall, ca. 1830
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.