Column at Yarmouth to the Memory of Lord Nelson
- Etching on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 18 7/8 x 12 5/8 inches (47.9 x 32 cm), Plate: 18 13/16 x 11 7/8 inches (47.8 x 30.1 cm), Image: 18 1/4 x 11 inches (46.4 x 27.9 cm)
Lettered in black ink, lower center: "COLUMN AT YARMOUTH TO THE MEMORY OF LORD NELSON. | TO THE RIGHT WORSHIPFUL ISAAC PRESTON IUNR. ESQR MAYOR OF YARMOUTH. | DURING WHOSE MAYORALTY THE FIRST STONE OF THE COLUMN WAS LAID ON THE 15 AUGST. 1817. | AND TO WHOSE EXERTIONS THE TOWN IS GREATLY INDEBTED FOR POSSESSING IT | THIS PLATE IS MOST RESPECTFULLY INSCRIBED BY HIS OBEDIENT SERVANT, | I. S. COTMAN, | HEIGHT OF THE COLUMN. 140 FEET. | 1817 Drawn, Etched, and Published by J. S. Cotman Yar"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | architecture | basket | battle | carriage | column (architectural element) | death | dedication (ceremony) | dog (animal) | flags | genre subject | gesture | hats | horses (animals) | laurel | leisure | marine art | masts | mausoleum | memory | men | monument | pointing | sails | sarcophagus | sculptures | ships | statues | sunlight | trousers | war | whip | women
- Associated Places:
- England | Europe | Isle of Wight | United Kingdom | Yarmouth
- Associated People:
- Nelson, Horatio, Viscount Nelson (1758–1805), British naval officer
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by John Sell Cotman, 1782–1842, British, Column at Yarmouth to the Memory of Lord Nelson, 1817
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.