- Tobias and the Angel
- ca. 1685
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 5 1/16 x 6 9/16 inches (12.8 x 16.7 cm), Plate: 4 11/16 x 6 1/4 inches (11.9 x 15.9 cm), and Image: 4 1/2 x 6 1/4 inches (11.4 x 15.9 cm)
Inscribed in brown ink, lower right: "O"
collector's stamp of George Ambrose Cardew, in black ink, on back, center right: "G. A. C."
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "Ællsheimer pinx : ISmith fe :"; lower center: "Cum privilegio Regis"; lower right: "Alexr. Browne excudit."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- angel | Bible | boy | dogs (animals) | duck | fish | horse (animal) | journey | landscape | men | Old Testament | ox | religious and mythological subject | river | shepherds | staffs (walking sticks) | Tobias and the angel Raphael continue their journey; usually Tobias carrying the fish | Tobias and the angel Raphael travelling, accompanied by Tobias' dog | togas | travel | trees | walking | wings (costume accessories)
- Associated People:
- Raphael (Archangel)
Tobias, son of Tobit and Anna
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by John Smith, 1652–1743, British, Tobias and the Angel, ca. 1685
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.