The Mighty Mother Sails Through the Air
- Former Title(s):
- Additional Title(s):
- Part Of:
- Etching on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- 10 5/16 × 7 5/8 inches (26.2 × 19.3 cm)
Inscribed in black ink, lower right: "Etched by Fueseli_"
Marked in blue ink, on back, center, collector's stamp: Paul Mellon Collection
Lettered, lower left: "Published June 1st 1787 by J. Johnson No 72 St Pauls Church Yard London"; lower right inside image, in Greek: "?a?daµat??" (with reference to Folly as "Great Mother")
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- arrows | balls | chalice | costume | crescent moons | crown (symbol of sovereignty) | dress | floating | flowers (plants) | flying | horns | magic | mother | mythology | nude | planets | religious and mythological subject | ribbons | woman
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Henry Fuseli, 1741–1825, Swiss, active in Britain (1766–70; 1779 on), The Mighty Mother Sails Through the Air, 1787
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.