IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Samuel Hieronymus Grimm, 1733–1794, Swiss, A View of the Fire in Covent Garden, 1769
A View of the Fire in Covent Garden
- Etching on medium, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 9 11/16 × 13 1/8 inches (24.6 × 33.3 cm), Image: 8 15/16 × 13 1/8 inches (22.7 × 33.3 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower right: "10/6"
Lettered in black ink, within image, lower left: "S H Grimm fec. 1769"; lower center: "A View of the Fire in Covent Garden the 20 of March 1769, done by a Neighbour."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- arches | architectural subject | buildings | carriages | carts | chaos | coats | crowd | fear | fire | firefighters | firehoses | flames | historical subject | horses (animals) | ladder | men | sand | sandbags | smoke | tricornes | wagons
- Associated Places:
- Covent Garden | England | Greater London | London | United Kingdom
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.