- A Country Churchyard. Verse from Gray's Elegy
- Aquatint on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream, laid paper, mounted on, moderately thick, smooth, cream, wove paper
- Sheet: 21 1/2 × 26 7/8 inches (54.6 × 68.3 cm) and Image: 18 3/8 × 25 inches (46.7 × 63.5 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "95/76"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower left: "44774"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower right: "[anglass ... 18 c] | 58"
Lettered, lower center: "To Sir Joshua Reynolds this Print of the COUNTRY CHURCH YARD From a Picture by Tho. Gainsborough Esqr. | Is by permission most Respectfully Inscribed by his Obliged | and obedient Servant | Robert Pollard | London, Published May 12 1790 by R. Pollard Engraver Spa Fields"; lettered, lower left: "T. Gainsborough R.A. Pinxt."; lettered, lower right: "lettered, lower right: "M.C. Prestal Sculpt."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Marie C. Prestel, 1747–1794, German, A Country Churchyard. Verse from Gray's Elegy, 1790
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.