Wooded Landscape with Herdsman and Cows
- Soft-ground etching and aquatint on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 11 × 13 3/4 inches (27.9 × 34.9 cm), Image: 10 1/8 × 12 7/8 inches (25.7 × 32.7 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower left: "W 9' /16 | 212 /1 L"; lower right: "3/"
Lettered upper left: "10"; lower left: "Defigned & Engraved by Thos. Gainsborough."; lower center: "Pubd. as the Act directs Augt 1ft, 1797, by J.&J. Boydell No.90, Cheapside; & at the Shakfpeare Gallery, Pall Mall."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- cows | genre subject | herdsman | landscape | rocks (landforms) | shepherd | trees | woods
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Connections (Yale Center for British Art, 2011-05-26 - 2011-09-11) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
The Creative Printmaker (Joseph and Margaret Muscarelle Museum of Art, 1986-03-05 - 1986-04-20) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
The Creative Printmaker (Yale Center for British Art, 1985-07-09 - 1985-09-01) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Thomas Gainsborough (Tate) (Musée du Louvre, 1981-02-07 - 1981-04-26) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
English Landscape (Paul Mellon Collection) 1630-1850 (Yale Center for British Art, 1977-04-19 - 1977-07-17) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]