- Mr. John Joshua Kirby
- between 1765 and 1771
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 13 7/8 x 9 15/16 inches (35.3 x 25.2 cm) and Image: 12 1/2 x 9 15/16 inches (31.8 x 25.2 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower right: "#6 | 18/L"
Lettered, lower left: "Gainsborough pinx.t"; lower center: "Mr. Kirby, ~ | Designer in Perspective to their MAJESTIES and Author of D,,r Book Taylor's | Method of Perspective made Easy &c &c | Sold by Ryland & Bryer, Engravers & Printsellers, at the Kings Arms in Cornhill."; lower right: "Dixon fecit"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- artist | author | buttons | cravat | designer | gaze | man | middle-aged | oval | perspective | portrait | posing | solemn | wig
- Associated People:
- Kirby, John Joshua (1716–1774), painter/draughtsman ,author/poet
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
John Dixon, ca. 1740–1811, Irish, Mr. John Joshua Kirby, between 1765 and 1771
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.