A Macarony Alderman and His Rib
- Additional Title(s):
A Macaroni Alderman and His Rib
A Macaroni Alderman with his Rib
- Line engraving, stipple engraving, and etching on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 11 x 7 13/16 inches (27.9 x 19.8 cm), Plate: 7 7/8 x 5 7/16 inches (20 x 13.8 cm), and Image (no border): 5 1/4 x 4 1/2 inches (13.4 x 11.5 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower left: "41892 (encircled)"
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "S. H. Grimm delin."; lower center: "A MACARONY ALDERMAN and his RIB. | London, Printed for J. Smith, No. 35, Cheapside, & R. Sayer, No 53, Fleet Street, as the Act directs, 20 June, 1772."; lower right: "Caldwall sculp"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- alderman | bag wig | bonnet (hat) | bows (costume accessories) | calash | cap (headgear) | cape (outerwear) | caricature | cloak | coat | costume | curls | dress | fan | fashion | figure | genre subject | gown | hood | humor | lace | macaroni | man | parody | ruffle | satire | staff (walking stick) | wigs | woman
- View by request in the Study Room
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by James Caldwall, 1739–1819, British, A Macarony Alderman and His Rib, 1772
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.