IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Print made by James Caldwall, 1739–1819, British, A Macarony Alderman and His Rib, 1772
A Macarony Alderman and His Rib
- Additional Title(s):
A Macaroni Alderman and His Rib
A Macaroni Alderman with his Rib
- Line engraving, stipple engraving, and etching on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 11 x 7 13/16 inches (27.9 x 19.8 cm), Plate: 7 7/8 x 5 7/16 inches (20 x 13.8 cm), Image: 5 1/4 x 4 1/2 inches (13.4 x 11.5 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower left: "41892 (encircled)"
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "S. H. Grimm delin."; lower center: "A MACARONY ALDERMAN and his RIB. | London, Printed for J. Smith, No. 35, Cheapside, & R. Sayer, No 53, Fleet Street, as the Act directs, 20 June, 1772."; lower right: "Caldwall sculp"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- alderman | bag wig | bonnet (hat) | bows (costume accessories) | calash | cap (headgear) | cape (outerwear) | caricature | cloak | coat | costume | curls | dress | fan | fashion | figure | genre subject | gown | hood | humor | lace | macaroni | man | parody | ruffle | satire | staff (walking stick) | wigs | woman
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.