- The Bay of Baiae - Apollo and the Sibyl
- betweem 1852 and 1856
- Chromolithograph with hand coloring in watercolor on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper mounted on beige card
- Sheet: 14 1/2 × 23 1/2 inches (36.8 × 59.7 cm) and Mount: 25 3/4 × 33 inches (65.4 × 83.8 cm)
Inscribed on mount in graphite, upper left: "R. 843A"
Label on verso: "THE TURNER LEGACY. | Fac-similes in | Lithography and Chromo-lithography | of Water-colour Drawings, | Made expressly from the original pictures and drawings, | in the above collection, the property of the nation. | Published by J. Mc.Queen, 37, Great Marlborough Street, Regent Street, London. | Paris: 22, Rue de Dunkerque. | THE BAY OF BAIÆ, | Painted in 1823"
Lettered inside image, lower left: "LIQUDAE PLACUERE BAIA"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bay (body of water) | distant view | god | hill | landscape | literary theme | man | Metamorphoses | religious and mythological subject | ruins | sea | sibyl | the Cumaean Sibyl is granted long life: Apollo grants the Cumaean sibyl as many years as she has grains of sand in her hand. in return for her love (Ovid, Metamorphoses XIV 136) | town | tree | woman
- Associated Places:
- Baia | Campania | Italia | Napoli | Napoli, Golfo di
- Associated People:
Sibyl of Cumae
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by unknown artist, The Bay of Baiae - Apollo and the Sibyl, betweem 1852 and 1856
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.