IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Print made by unknown artist, The Bay of Baiae - Apollo and the Sibyl, between 1852 and 1856
The Bay of Baiae - Apollo and the Sibyl
- between 1852 and 1856
- Chromolithograph with hand coloring in watercolor on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper mounted on beige card
- Sheet: 14 1/2 × 23 1/2 inches (36.8 × 59.7 cm), Mount: 25 3/4 × 33 inches (65.4 × 83.8 cm)
Inscribed on mount in graphite, upper left: "R. 843A"
Label on verso: "THE TURNER LEGACY. | Fac-similes in | Lithography and Chromo-lithography | of Water-colour Drawings, | Made expressly from the original pictures and drawings, | in the above collection, the property of the nation. | Published by J. Mc.Queen, 37, Great Marlborough Street, Regent Street, London. | Paris: 22, Rue de Dunkerque. | THE BAY OF BAIÆ, | Painted in 1823"
Lettered inside image, lower left: "LIQUDAE PLACUERE BAIA"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bay (body of water) | distant view | god | hill | landscape | literary theme | man | Metamorphoses | religious and mythological subject | ruins | sea | sibyl | the Cumaean Sibyl is granted long life: Apollo grants the Cumaean sibyl as many years as she has grains of sand in her hand. in return for her love (Ovid, Metamorphoses XIV 136) | town | tree | woman
- Associated Places:
- Baia | Campania | Italy | Napoli | Napoli, Golfo di
- Associated People:
Sibyl of Cumae
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.