- Field Marshal the Duke of Wellington, K.G.&c.&c. Giving Orders to His Generals Previous to a General Action
- Engraving on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream, wove paper, with cream, cream, chine colle
- Sheet: 26 1/4 × 36 1/2 inches (66.7 × 92.7 cm), Plate: 26 × 35 13/16 inches (66 × 91 cm), Chine collé: 25 5/16 × 35 5/16 inches (64.3 × 89.7 cm), and Image: 21 13/16 × 33 1/2 inches (55.4 × 85.1 cm)
Paul Mellon collector's mark
Lettered, lower left: "Painted & Engraving finished by T. Heaphy. | London, Published Augt. 8th 1822, by Thos. Heaphy, No.7, St. Johns Wood Road, Regents Park, & R.Ackermann, 101, Strand."; lettered, lower center: "Field Marshall The Duke of Wellington, K.G.&c.&c. | GIVING ORDERS TO HIS GENERALS PREVIOUS TO A GENERAL ACTION. | TO HIS MOST EXELLENT MAJESTY, GEORGE THE FOURTH, KING OF GREAT BRITAIN, &C.&C.&C. | This Engraving from the original Picture painted for the King is with His gracious permission humbly dedicated | By HIS MAJESTY'S dutiful Subject & Servant | Thos. Heaphy. | THE SCENE UPON THE GROUND OF THE BATTLE OF THE NIVELLE."; lettered, lower right: "Etched & Engraving began by the late Anker Smith A.R.A. | Printed by H. Triggs"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Anker Smith, 1759–1819, British, Field Marshal the Duke of Wellington, K.G.&c.&c. Giving Orders to His Generals Previous to a General Action, 1822
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.