A View from Richmond Hill Up the River
- Additional Title(s):
Vüe du pais proche de la riviere prise de la montagne de Richmond
- Line engraving and etching with hand coloring on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 12 7/16 x 18 1/16 inches (31.6 x 45.9 cm), Plate: 15 3/4 x 10 3/16 inches (40 x 25.9 cm), and Image: 15 1/4 x 9 1/16 inches (38.7 x 23 cm)
Inscribed in brown ink, on back, upper right: "No 2"
collector's stamp of the Paul Mellon Collection, in blue ink, on back, lower center, within two concentric circles: "PAUL MELLON | COLLECTION"
Lettered in black ink, upper right: "62"; lower left: "Heckel Delin | A View from Richmond Hill up the RIVER."; lower center: "Publish'd according to Act of Parliament | Published 12th, May 1794, by LAURIE & WHITTLE, 53 Fleet Street, London."; lower right: "Grignion Sculpt. | Vüe du Pais proche de la RIVIERE prise de la Montagne de Richmond."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- baskets | buildings | carriage | costume | driver | frock coats | genre subject | gesture | gown | horses (animals) | houses | landscape | men | milk maid | nobility | path | peasants | pointing | river | road | sailboats | trees | tricornes | walking | women | yoke
- Associated Places:
- England | Greater London | Richmond Hill | Richmond upon Thames (borough) | Thames | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Charles Grignion, 1717–1810, British, A View from Richmond Hill Up the River, 1794
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.