- Sir James Thornhill
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige laid paper, pasted on contemporary mount of moderately thick, slightly textured, brown wove paper
- Mount: 13 7/8 x 9 15/16 inches (35.3 x 25.3 cm), Sheet: 13 11/16 x 9 3/4 inches (34.8 x 24.8 cm), and Image: 11 5/8 x 9 3/4 inches (29.6 x 24.8 cm)
Inscribed in brown ink, on paper attached to sheet [from letter by Thornhill], lower left: "May the 25th: 1722"; on paper attached to sheet [signature from letter by Thornhill], lower right: "James Thornhill"; in graphite, on back, center: "Sir James Thornhill | 1676-1734"; on back, lower right: "6541 | 11 x 14 3/4 | [...] | pulp mount | CS 345 III/II | 924? | £25"
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "I. Highmore pinxt."; lower center: "Sr. James Thornhill Knt | of Thornhill in Dorset, Hist: Painter to his Maj: King George, & F. R. S. | Anno Dni. 1732 Ætat. 56. | Sold by J. Faber, at ye Golden head ye South side of Bloomsbury Square."; lower right: "I. Faber fecit 1732."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- artist | coat | cravat | man | oval | portrait | wig
- Associated People:
- Thornhill, Sir James (1675/6–1734), decorative painter
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
Jacqueline Riding, Basic Instincts Love, Passion and Violence in the Art of Joseph Highmore, Paul Holberton Publishing, London, p. 25, fig. 12, NJ18.H4888 R53 2017 (YCBA)
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
John Faber the Younger, ca. 1695–1756, Netherlandish, active in Britain, Sir James Thornhill, 1732
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.