Sir James Thornhill
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige laid paper, pasted on contemporary mount of moderately thick, slightly textured, brown wove paper
- Mount: 13 7/8 x 9 15/16 inches (35.3 x 25.3 cm), Sheet: 13 11/16 x 9 3/4 inches (34.8 x 24.8 cm), Image: 11 5/8 x 9 3/4 inches (29.6 x 24.8 cm)
Inscribed in brown ink, on paper attached to sheet [from letter by Thornhill], lower left: "May the 25th: 1722"; on paper attached to sheet [signature from letter by Thornhill], lower right: "James Thornhill"; in graphite, on back, center: "Sir James Thornhill | 1676-1734"; on back, lower right: "6541 | 11 x 14 3/4 | [...] | pulp mount | CS 345 III/II | 924? | £25"
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "I. Highmore pinxt."; lower center: "Sr. James Thornhill Knt | of Thornhill in Dorset, Hist: Painter to his Maj: King George, & F. R. S. | Anno Dni. 1732 Ætat. 56. | Sold by J. Faber, at ye Golden head ye South side of Bloomsbury Square."; lower right: "I. Faber fecit 1732."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- artist | coat | cravat | man | oval | portrait | wig
- Associated People:
- Thornhill, Sir James (1675/6–1734), decorative painter
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
John Faber the Younger, ca. 1695–1756, Netherlandish, active in Britain, Sir James Thornhill, 1732