His Majesty's Ship Britannia Returning to Port
- ca. 1840
- Lithograph, hand-colored on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 14 1/2 x 18 15/16 inches (36.9 x 48.1 cm) and Image: 9 3/16 x 14 9/16 inches (23.4 x 37 cm)
Lettered, lower left: "Drawn on Stone by L. Haghe from Paintings by T. L. Hornbrock in the Possession of the Earl of Northesk"; lower center, text divided by coat of arms: "To the Right Hon,,ble the Earl of Northesk, G. C. B., Rear Admiral of Great Britain, Commander in Chief at Plymouth &c &c &c, and to | the British Navy. This Print of his Majesty's Ship, Britannia returning to Port, is respectfully Dedicated by his Lordships and their obliged and Obed,t Serv,,ts The Publishers. | Published by S. Saunders & W. Byers, Fore Street, Devonport."; lower right: "Printed by W. Day 17 Gate Street, London"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- armed forces | boats | buildings | clouds | coastline | flags | genre subject | hats | hills | marine art | masts | men | observers | ocean | port | rigging | rocks (landforms) | rowboats | sails | sea | ships | trees | warships | waves (natural events) | wind
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Louis Haghe, 1806–1885, British, His Majesty's Ship Britannia Returning to Port, ca. 1840
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.