- The Discovery
- Stipple engraving and etching on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 15 3/8 x 11 3/16 inches (39 x 28.4 cm) and Image: 12 9/16 x 10 1/16 inches (31.9 x 25.6 cm)
collector's stamp of the Paul Mellon Collection, in blue ink, on back, lower center, within two concentric circles: "PAUL MELLON | COLLECTION"
Lettered in black ink, along lower left border of oval image: "Painted by G. Morland"; along lower right border of oval image: "Engraved by E. J. Dumée."; lower center: "THE DISCOVERY. | Too plain the lines so faithless prove | The perjur'd Swain that scorns her Love | And prove too plain a Sister's Art | That won the Idol of her Heart. | London publish'd Jun 25th 1788 by J. R. Smith, No 34 King St Covent Garden."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- book | carpet | chair | costume | desk | earrings | feathers | fichu | flounces | genre subject | gown | grief | hat | interior | jewelry | key | letters (correspondence) | lock | love | melancholy | muslin | oval | papers (document genres) | woman
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by E. J. Dumée, active 1790, British, The Discovery, 1788
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.