The Letter Woman
- ca. 1769
- Mezzotint and etching on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- 14 3/4 × 10 1/8 inches (37.4 × 25.7 cm) and 12 13/16 × 9 15/16 inches (32.5 × 25.2 cm)
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "Heny,, Morland pinxt,,"; lower center: "The LETTER WOMAN. | This simple Boy has lost his Penny, | And She without it wont take any; | What can He do in such a Plight? | This Letter cannot go to Night."; lower right: "Phil. Dawe fecit."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bell | bonnet (hat) | boy | cape (outerwear) | chiaroscuro | child | coat | costume | dark | genre subject | headscarf | lantern (lighting device) | letter (correspondence) | light | mailroom | pattern (design element) | post office | postmaster | shadow | woman
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Philip Dawe, ca.1745–ca.1809, British, The Letter Woman, ca. 1769
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.