The Pretty Ballad Singer
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 16 9/16 x 11 15/16 inches (42 x 30.3 cm), Plate: 13 7/8 x 9 13/16 inches (35.3 x 25 cm), and Image: 12 5/8 x 9 13/16 inches (32.1 x 25 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower left: "del."
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "Hen. Morland pinxt,, | 7"; lower center: "Published as the Act directs. A. D. 1769. | The pretty Ballad Singer. | Printed for CARINGTON BOWLES, Map & Printseller, No. 69 in St. Pauls Church Yard, LONDON."; lower right: "Phil. Dawe fecit."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- ballad | bonnet (hat) | chiaroscuro | costume | dark | genre subject | holding | lantern (lighting device) | light | modesty | music | pattern (design element) | shadow | shawl | sheet music | singer | singing | woman
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Philip Dawe, ca.1745–ca.1809, British, The Pretty Ballad Singer, 1769
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.