- The Pretty Ballad Singer
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 16 9/16 x 11 15/16 inches (42 x 30.3 cm), Plate: 13 7/8 x 9 13/16 inches (35.3 x 25 cm), and Image: 12 5/8 x 9 13/16 inches (32.1 x 25 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower left: "del."
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "Hen. Morland pinxt,, | 7"; lower center: "Published as the Act directs. A. D. 1769. | The pretty Ballad Singer. | Printed for CARINGTON BOWLES, Map & Printseller, No. 69 in St. Pauls Church Yard, LONDON."; lower right: "Phil. Dawe fecit."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- ballad | bonnet (hat) | chiaroscuro | costume | dark | genre subject | holding | lantern (lighting device) | light | modesty | music | pattern (design element) | shadow | shawl | sheet music | singer | singing | woman
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Philip Dawe, ca.1745–ca.1809, British, The Pretty Ballad Singer, 1769
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.