An Aga of the Janizaries
- Additional Title(s):
An Aga of the Janissaries
- Etching on moderately thick, moderately textured, beige laid paper, laid on mount
- Sheet: 16 x 13 1/16 inches (40.6 x 33.1 cm), Plate: 14 7/8 x 11 7/8 inches (37.8 x 30.2 cm), and Image (oval): 13 1/4 x 10 7/8 inches (33.7 x 27.7 cm)
Lettered in black ink, along lower left border of oval image: "Drawn by J. H. Mortimer."'; lower center: "An Aga of the Janizaries ~ | Published as the Act directs, July 19th, 1779, by R. Blyth."; along lower right border of oval image: "Etch'd by R. Blyth."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- aga | beard | commander | costume | fez | infantry | janissaries | man | moustache | Ottoman | oval | portrait | profile (figure) | turban
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Robert Blyth, 1750–1784, An Aga of the Janizaries, 1779
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.