- And This Was Caesar
- between 1838 and 1850
- Etching and stipple engraving on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige wove paper with cream chine collé
- Sheet: 6 5/16 x 8 1/16 inches (16 x 20.5 cm), Plate: 5 3/16 x 7 1/16 inches (13.1 x 17.9 cm), and Image: 4 13/16 x 6 5/8 inches (12.2 x 16.9 cm)
Lettered, etched in black ink, lower left under image: "JOHN BELL ETCH : CLUB"; lower center: "AND THIS WAS CAESAR"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- cloth | crowd | death | drapery | figures | historical subject | laurel crown | murder | romans | Rome | staff
- Associated People:
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by John Bell, 1811–1895, British, And This Was Caesar, between 1838 and 1850
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.