- Death of the First Born
- Mezzotint on thick, slightly textured, cream, wove paper
- Sheet: 21 7/8 × 30 inches (55.6 × 76.2 cm) and Image: 19 1/8 × 28 13/16 inches (48.6 × 73.2 cm)
Lettered, lower center: Designed & Engraved by John Martin, Chevalier of the Order of Leopold, &c.&c. | LONDON, PUBLISHED JUNE 1ST 1836, BY J. MARTIN, 30 ALLSOP, TERRACE; ACKERMANS & CO. STRAN; HODGSON & GRAVES 6 PALL MALL, & MOON, THREADNEEDLE ST. CITY"; lettered, lower right: "Depose a la direction"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- child | cloud | crying | death | jug | lightning | man | mourning | palace | pharaoh | pillar | plague | religious and mythological subject | temple | the plague of the first-born: the destroying angel passes through the land and kills every Egyptian first-born of man and animal | tree | weeping | woman
- Associated People:
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
John Martin, 1789–1854, British, Death of the First Born, 1836
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.