- Mezzotint on thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 21 5/8 × 30 15/16 inches (54.9 × 78.6 cm), Image: 18 5/16 × 28 7/16 inches (46.5 × 72.2 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, verso, lower right: "The Crucifixion"
Collector's mark, verso: Paul Mellon
Lettered, lower center: London, Designed and Engraved by John Martin, K.I.B. | LONDON PUBLISHED JULY 1ST 1834 BY FRANCIS GRAHAM MOON, BY SPECIAL APPOINTMENT PRINTSELLER TO THE KING, 20 THREADNEEDLE STREET, SOLD ALSO BY HODGSON BOYS & GRAVES, 6 PALL MALL ACKERMAN & CO. STRAND"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- building | cityscape | cloud | crowd | crucifixion | death | horse (animal) | infant | light | man | religious and mythological subject | riot | rock | sacrifice | sadness | the crucifixion of Christ: Christ's death on the cross; Golgotha (Matthew 27:45-58; Mark 15:33-45; Luke 23:44-52; John 19:25-38) | tree | wall | woman
- Associated Places:
- Golgotha | Israel | Yerushalayim
- Associated People:
- Jesus Christ (7–2 BC/BCE to 30–36 AD/CE)
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.