- The Crucifixion
- Mezzotint on thick, slightly textured, cream, wove paper
- Sheet: 21 5/8 × 30 15/16 inches (54.9 × 78.6 cm) and Image: 18 5/16 × 28 7/16 inches (46.5 × 72.2 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, verso, lower right: "The Crucifixion"
Paul Mellon Collector's mark
Lettered, lower center: London, Designed and Engraved by John Martin, K.I.B. | LONDON PUBLISHED JULY 1ST 1834 BY FRANCIS GRAHAM MOON, BY SPECIAL APPOINTMENT PRINTSELLER TO THE KING, 20 THREADNEEDLE STREET, SOLD ALSO BY HODGSON BOYS & GRAVES, 6 PALL MALL ACKERMAN & CO. STRAND"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- building | cityscape | cloud | crowd | crucifixion | death | horse | infant | light | man | religious and mythological subject | riot | rock | sacrifice | sadness | the crucifixion of Christ: Christ's death on the cross; Golgotha (Matthew 27:45-58; Mark 15:33-45; Luke 23:44-52; John 19:25-38) | tree | wall | woman
- Associated Places:
- Golgotha | Israel | Yerushalayim
- Associated People:
- Jesus Christ (7-2 BC/BCE to 30-36 AD/CE)
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
John Martin, 1789–1854, British, The Crucifixion, 1834
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.