The Scytheman's Refreshment
- Additional Title(s):
Youth with a Tankard and a Scythe
- Part Of:
- Mezzotint on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 14 3/16 x 10 1/4 inches (36.1 x 26.1 cm), Plate: 12 7/8 x 8 7/8 inches (32.7 x 22.6 cm), and Image: 11 5/16 x 8 7/8 inches (28.8 x 22.5 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower center: "No 2"
collector's stamp of the Paul Mellon Collection, in blue ink, on back, center, within two concentric circles: "PAUL MELLON | COLLECTION"
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "Ph, Mercier. Pinxt."; lower center: "Rural Life."; lower right: "J. Faber fecit."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bale | boy | breeches (trousers) | coat | drinking | figure study | food | genre subject | hay | labor | laborer | scythe | tankard
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
John Ingamells, A Catalogue of the Paintings, Drawings, and Etchings of Philip Mercier, Volume of the Walpole Society, vol. 46, Walpole Society, 1976-8, p. 46, no. 183, N12 W35 +A1 OVERSIZE (YCBA)