Sketch from a Statue of a Dreamer
- between 1838 and 1850
- Materials & Techniques:
- Etching on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper with cream chine collé
- Sheet: 10 7/8 x 15 3/16 inches (27.6 x 38.5 cm), Plate: 6 x 7 1/2 inches (15.2 x 19.1 cm)
Inscribed in graphite on back, lower center: "Design, Poetry + etching by John Bell" (The D is copied over with brown ink)
Lettered, etched in black ink, upper leftT: "SKETCH FROM A STATUE | OF A DREAMER | JOHN BELL | ETCH : CLUB"; upper right: "DREAMS HER TRESSES LIGHT ARE WREATHING | FORMS BEFORE HER EYES ARE WEAVING | LIGHT UPON THE YOUNG AND GENTLE | LIES THE WOOL OF MORPHEUS' MANTLE | ALL WITH STRANGE DEVICES WOVEN | AERY SHADOWS FANCY-MOVEN"; lower left: "AS EVE THE PETALS DOSING | OF THE LILY OF THE WATER | WITH HER PEARLY EYELIDS CLOSING | SLEEPING IS THIS GENTLE DAUGHTER | HEAVES HER BOSOM WITH THE MOTION | OF A SUMMER SLEEPING OCEAN | SLEEPS HER HEAD UPON HER PILLOW | AS THE MOONLIGHT ON THE BILLOW"; lower right: "HOW VARYING AND EVANESCENT | OER HER CHEEK THE COLOUR FLIETH | THOUGHT HOW WONDROUS HOW INCESSANT | EEN WHEN SLEEP UPON US LIETH | LIKE WIND UPON THE SUMMER GRASS | OR CLOUD-SHADOWS AS THEY PASS | DREAMINGS OER HER FANCY QUIVER | IN SUCCESSION SWEET AND EVER"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- butterflies | cloth | clouds | copy | dreams | figure study | flowers (plants) | hair | nude | pillow, throw | poem | sculpture | statue | wind | woman
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by John Bell, 1811–1895, British, Sketch from a Statue of a Dreamer, between 1838 and 1850
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.