- Additional Title(s):
Clair de lune
- Etching and line engraving on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet (cropped to plate): 11 7/8 x 15 3/4 inches (30.2 x 40 cm) and Image: 10 9/16 x 14 15/16 inches (26.9 x 38 cm)
Lettered in black ink, upper left: "12"; lower left: "P. Monamy pinx. | Moon Light. | From a Painting in the Collection of Alexander Stuart Esqr."; lower center: "Publish'd according to Act of Parliament 21 Febry 1745-6 | Printed for John Bowles at the Black Horse in Cornhill."; lower right: "Canot Sculp. | Clair de Lune."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- arch | baskets | boats | boots | bridge (built work) | buildings | city | cityscape | coast | coats | evening | flags | galleons | genre subject | gesture | hats | labor | marine art | masts | men | men-of-war | moon | moonlight | nets (objects) | night | oars | poles | rowboats | rowing | sailboats | sails | sea | seamen | ships | shore (landform) | trousers | workers | working
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
Eleanor Hughes, Spreading Canvas : Eighteenth-Century British Marine Painting, Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, 2016, pp. 168, 169, cat. 33, no. 33, ND 1373.G74 S67 2016 (YCBA)