Night and a Ship on Fire
- Additional Title(s):
Nuit et vaisseau en feu
Night & a Ship on Fire
- Line engraving and etching on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- 14 15/16 x 21 7/16 inches (37.9 x 54.5 cm), 12 x 15 13/16 inches (30.5 x 40.2 cm), and 10 11/16 x 14 15/16 inches (27.2 x 38 cm)
Collector's stamp of the Paul Mellon Collection, in blue ink, on back, center, within two concentric circles: "PAUL MELLON | COLLECTION"
Lettered in black ink, upper left: "10"; lower left: "P. Monamy pinxt. | Night & a Ship on fire." lower center: "Published according to Act of Parliament 21 February. 1745-6. | Printed for John Bowles at the Black Horse, Cornhill."; lower right: "Canat Sculp. | Nuit & Vaisseau en feu."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- castle | dark | dock | escape | fire | flags | fort | galleons | genre subject | gesture | harbor | lifeboats | marine art | masts | men | men-of-war | mountains | night | oars | pier | pointing | rowboats | rowing | sailboats | sails | sea | seamen | ships | shipwreck | smoke
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Spreading Canvas - Eighteenth - Century British Marine Painting (Yale Center for British Art, 2016-09-09 - 2016-12-04) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Eleanor Hughes, Spreading Canvas : Eighteenth-Century British Marine Painting, Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, 2016, pp. 168, 169, cat. 34, no. 34, ND 1373.G74 S67 2016 (YCBA) [YCBA]