IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Print made by Pierre Charles Canot, ca. 1710–1777, French, active in Britain, A Strong Gale or Squall, 1745
A Strong Gale or Squall
- Additional Title(s):
Vent fort ou raflais
- Line engraving and etching on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 12 1/8 × 15 7/8 inches (30.8 × 40.3 cm), Image: 10 9/16 × 14 13/16 inches (26.8 × 37.7 cm)
Lettered in black ink, upper left: "3"; lower left: "P. Monamy Pinxt. | A Strong Gale or Squall | From a Painting in the Collection of Alexander Stuart Esqr."; lower center: "Publish'd according to Act of Parliamt 21 Feb. 1745-6 | Printed for John Bowles at the Black Horse in Cornhill." lower right: "Canot Sculpt. | Vent Fort ou Raflais"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- clouds | flags | galleons | marine art | masts | men-of-war | navy | sails | sea | ships | waves (natural events) | wind
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.