- between 1833 and 1853
- Line engraving and etching on thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper with cream chine collé
- Sheet: 19 15/16 x 13 9/16 inches (50.6 x 34.5 cm), Plate: 14 7/16 x 10 7/8 inches (36.6 x 27.7 cm), Chine collé: 13 9/16 × 10 1/16 inches (34.4 × 25.6 cm), and Image (oval): 8 1/4 x 7 1/16 inches (21 x 18 cm)
Lettered in black ink, on chine collé, along lower left border of oval image: "E. V. RIPPINGILLE, PAINTER."; on chine collé, along lower right border of oval image: "J. C. ARMYTAGE, ENGRAVER."; on chine collé, lower left: "SIZE OF THE PICTURE | 2 FT. 3 IN. BY 1 FT. 11 IN."; on chine collé, lower center: "THE MONK. | FROM THE PICTURE IN THE VERNON GALLERY. | LONDON, PUBLISHED FOR THE PROPRIETORS."; on chine collé, lower right: "PRINTED BY G. VIRTUE."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- beard | cloak | eyes | gaze | hood | man | monk | oval | portrait | profile (figure)
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by James Charles Armytage, 1802–1897, British, The Monk, between 1833 and 1853
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.