- between 1835 and 1854
- Etching and line engraving on thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper with cream chine collé
- 20 x 13 11/16 inches (50.8 x 34.7 cm), 14 1/2 x 10 7/8 inches (36.8 x 27.7 cm), 14 1/16 x 10 5/16 inches (35.7 x 26.2 cm), and 9 1/8 x 7 7/16 inches (23.1 x 18.9 cm)
Lettered in black ink, on chine collé, lower left: "W. ETTY, R. A. PAINTER. | SIZE OF THE PICTURE. 2 FT. IN. BY 1 FT. 8 1/2 IN."; on chine collé, lower center: "THE BALCONY. | FROM THE PICTURE IN THE VERNON GALLERY. | LONDON, PUBLISHED FOR THE PROPRIETORS."; on chine collé, lower right: "J. C. ARMYTAGE, ENGRAVER. | PRINTED BY G. VIRTUE."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- arch | balcony | costume | curls | flowers (motifs) | food | fruit | fur | genre subject | gesture | gowns | lute | man | minstrel | Moorish | music | musical instrument | nobility | parapet | pearls | performer | platter | servant | singing | vines | women
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by James Charles Armytage, 1802–1897, British, The Balcony, between 1835 and 1854
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.