- Materials & Techniques:
- Line engraving, stipple engraving and etching on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige wove paper with beige chine collé
- Sheet: 13 9/16 x 20 inches (34.4 x 50.8 cm), Plate: 10 7/16 x 14 inches (26.5 x 35.5 cm), Sheet: 9 3/4 x 13 1/4 inches (24.8 x 33.6 cm), Image: 6 11/16 x 10 3/16 inches (17 x 25.8 cm)
Lettered, lower left under image: "FROM A SKETCH BY T. STOTHARD R.A."; lower right under image: "W. CHEVALIER. ENGRAVER.", lower left: "SIZE OF THE PICTURE. 2 FT. 51/2 IN. BY 1 FT. 8 IN."; lower center: "INTEMPERANCE. | FROM THE PICTURE IN THE VERNON GALLERY. | LONDON, PUBLISHED FOR THE PROPRIETORS."; lower right: "PRINTED BY W. DAY."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- children | clouds | columns | cupids | dancing | drapery | drunk | eating | flirting | flowers (plants) | flying | food | fruit | garlands | kissing | laurel crowns | lust | men | music | mythology | nudes | religious and mythological subject | romance | sleeping | togas | wine | wings | women
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Guillaume Sulpice Chevalier, 1804–1866, French, Intemperance, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.