- William Shakespeare
- Engraving on medium, slightly textured, cream, laid paper, mounted on, moderately thick, slightly textured, cream, wove paper
- Mount: 24 × 17 1/4 inches (61 × 43.8 cm), Sheet: 14 1/4 × 9 9/16 inches (36.2 × 24.3 cm), and Image: 13 1/2 × 8 7/8 inches (34.3 × 22.5 cm)
Lettered, lower left: "Geo. Vertue Londini"; lettered, lower center: "Shakespeare! such Thoughts inimitable shine. | Drest in they Words, thy Fancy seems Divine. | Tis Natures Mirrour where she views each Grace. | And all the various Features of her Face."; lettered, lower left: "Done from the Original now in the Possession of Robert Keck of the Inner Temple Esqr."; lettered, lower right: "Sold by G. Vertue in Brownlow Street Drury lane."; lettered, lower right: "Sculplsit 1719"; lettered, upper center: "WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE Ob An Dom 1616 | Aetat 53"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Associated People:
- Shakespeare, William (1564–1616), playwright and poet
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
George Vertue, 1684–1756, British, William Shakespeare, 1719
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.