View of the Pantheon taken from the Arsenal
- Aquatint, hand-colored on medium, slightly textured, cream, wove paper
- Sheet: 9 1/16 x 21 1/2 inches (23 x 54.6 cm) and Image: 5 15/16 x 17 9/16 inches (15.1 x 44.6 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, recto, lower right: "1st Edition. 1803"; and in graphite, verso, upper right: "<The Plate ...ess> | <... of the ... St> | <...>"
Recto, lower left: "Drawn & Etch'd by Thoa. Girtin."; recto, lower left: "View of the Pantheon| taken from the ARSENAL"; recto, lower right: "Aquatinted by F.C. Lewis."; recto, lower right: "Vue du Pantheon| prife de L'ARSENAL"; and recto, lower center: "LONDON: Publish'd Jany. 10. 1803, by JOHN GIRTIN No. 8, Charles Street, Middlesex Hospital"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | boats | buildings | carriages | carts | cityscape | clouds | horse (animal) | people
- Associated Places:
- Bassin de l'Arsenal | Europe | France | Panthéon | Paris | Seine | Ville de Paris, Départment de | Île-de-France
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Thomas Girtin, 1775–1802, British, View of the Pantheon taken from the Arsenal, 1803
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.