His Excellency Thomas Earl of Strafford
- Additional Title(s):
Thomas Wentworth, 1st Earl of Strafford
- Engraving on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Mount: 24 × 17 1/4 inches (61 × 43.8 cm), Sheet: 15 × 10 11/16 inches (38.1 × 27.1 cm), Image: 13 × 10 3/8 inches (33 × 26.4 cm)
Watermark: "J Whatman | 1842"
Lettered, lower center: "His Excellency Thomas Earl of Strafford Viscount Wentworth of Wentworth | Woodhouse & Stainborough. Baron Newmarch Oversley and Raby. One of the Lords Justices of great Brittain | & Ireland by Act of Parliament during the Absence of his Majesty as first lord Commissioner of the admiralty | Lieutenant General and Collonelle of his Majestys own Royal Regimentt of Dragoons Ambassador Extraordinary & Pleni | potentiary to the States Generall of y United Provinces as well as for the Congress at Utrecht. One of the Lords of his | Majestys most Honourable privy Council & Knight of the most Noble Order of the Garter.&c.1714. | A. Johnston exud."; lettered, lower right: "Geo. Vertue Sculpsit | Sold by R. Hulton of Cornor of Pall Mall St. James's."; lettered, lower left: "G. Kneller Eques pixnit 1714"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Associated People:
- Wentworth, Thomas, first earl of Strafford (1672–1739), diplomatist and army officer
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
George Vertue, 1684–1756, British, His Excellency Thomas Earl of Strafford, 1714
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.