- Edgar, from King Lear, Act III, Scene iii
- Etching, published state
- Sheet: 17 x 13 3/4in. (43.2 x 34.9cm)
Engraved inscriptions: within image at top, center, "EDGAR"; within image at bottom center, "Away! the foul fiend follows me -- Through the sharp Hawthorn blows the cold wind -- Humph -- go to thy bed and warm thee"; below, "Published May 20 1775 by J. Mortimer Norfolk Street, STRAND"; within image at bottom right, "Lear, Act III, Scene III"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- King Lear, play by William Shakespeare | plants | wheat
- Associated People:
- Shakespeare, William (1564–1616), playwright and poet
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
John Hamilton Mortimer, 1740–1779, British, Edgar, from King Lear, Act III, Scene iii
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.