- Death of Captain Alexander Hood
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream, wove paper
- Sheet: 22 1/8 × 26 1/2 inches (56.2 × 67.3 cm), Plate: 21 3/4 × 25 7/8 inches (55.2 × 65.7 cm), and Image: 19 3/4 × 25 3/8 inches (50.2 × 64.5 cm)
Watermark: "J Whatman | 1794" Paul Mellon Collector's mark
Lettered, lower left: "Northcote, Pinxit."; lettered, lower center: "LONDON Publish'd Octr. 1st 1798, by Jeffryes & Co. Ludgate Hill. | To the Right Honorable Lord Hood | This Plate of the Death of Capt. Alexander Hood who Gloriously Fell in the MOment of Victory on the 21st of April last, | is by Permission respectfully Dedicated by his Obliged and Obt. Servant John Jeffryes."; lettered, lower right: "Reynolds, Sculpsit."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- boats | captain (military officer) | dying | flag | genre subject | military art | sailors | swords
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
Mark (Andrew Mark), Ledbury, James Northcote, history painting, and the Fables, Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, 2014, pp. 106, 108, fig. 101, NJ18.N79 L43 2014 (YCBA)
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Samuel William Reynolds, 1773–1835, British, Death of Captain Alexander Hood, 1798
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.