IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Print made by Samuel Palmer, 1805–1881, British, active in Italy (1837–39), The Rising Moon, 1857
The Rising Moon
- Former Title(s):
Shepherd and Sheep (A Rising Moon)
- Additional Title(s):
An English Pastoral
A Rising Moon
Shepherd and Sheep
- Etching and drypoint, with plate tone on thick, smooth, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 6 x 9 inches (15.3 x 22.8 cm), Plate: 6 x 9 inches (15.3 x 22.8 cm), Image: 4 5/8 x 7 9/16 inches (11.7 x 19.2 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, center on back: "N."; inscribed in graphite, lower right on back: "2 | I" ("2" is encircled)
Lettered lower left within image: "SP"
Signed in graphite, lower center below image: "Samuel Palmer"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art | barrel | church | clouds | cypress | genre subject | hat | hills | horizon line | house | landscape | moon | moonlight | mountain | night | pond | sheep | shepherd | staff | tower (building division) | trees | trough | village
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.