- The Rising Moon
- Etching and drypoint, with plate tone on thick, smooth, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 6 x 9 inches (15.3 x 22.8 cm), Plate: 6 x 9 inches (15.3 x 22.8 cm), and Image: 4 5/8 x 7 9/16 inches (11.7 x 19.2 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, center on back: "N."; inscribed in graphite, lower right on back: "2 | I" ("2" is encircled)
Lettered lower left within image: "SP"
Signed in graphite, lower center below image: "Samuel Palmer"; not dated
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art | barrel | church | clouds | cypress | genre subject | hat | hills | horizon line | house | landscape | moon | moonlight | mountain | night | pond | sheep | shepherd | staff | tower (building division) | trees | trough | village
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Samuel Palmer, 1805–1881, British, active in Italy (1837–39), The Rising Moon, 1857
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.