- Duke's Place
- Etching and line engraving on slightly textured, moderately thick, white wove paper
- Sheet: 10 13/16 × 8 1/16 inches (27.5 × 20.5 cm)
Lettered, lower center: "The south gates, being now the principal remains of | DUKES PLACE | a magnificent house, near Aldgate, built by Sir Thomas Audley Knight, | Lord Chancellor, on the site of the ancient priory of the Holy Trinity, | (founded by Matilda of Scotland, Queen of Henry 1; and after the disso- | lution given to Audley by King Henry 8). It came, subsequently, to | Thomas Duke of Norfolk, by his marriage with Audley's daughter, & thence | took the above name of Duke's place." and below "Publish'd Jany. 1. 1793 by N. Smith No. 18 Gt. Mays Buildlings St. Martins Lane. See Pennants London"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
unknown artist, Duke's Place, 1793
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.