The Savoy, Somerset House
- Photo-mechanical reproduction on smooth, medium, white wove paper
- Sheet: 10 3/4 × 9 5/16 inches (27.3 × 23.7 cm)
Lettered, center: "THE SAVOY | Wenceslaus Hollar (1607-1677) | The Savoy, so called in the reign of Henry III from Peter of Savoy, was the palace of John of Gaunt. It was | destroyed in Wat Tyler's rebellion in 1381 and long remained desolate till rebuilt as a Hospital by Henry VII. | Photographed from the original drawing in the Pepysian Library by permission of | the Master and Fellows of Magdalene College, Cambridge"; lower center: "SOMERSET HOUSE | Wenceslaus Hollar (1607-1677) | Somerset House built by the Protector of that name in the reign of Edward VI was in the seventeenth-century | the residence of the Queen Consort. It was pulled down in 1775. The pyramidal building shown in the right | corner is the Water house of Arundel house ot the east of Strand Lane. | Photographed from the original drawing in the Pepysian Library by permission of | the Master and Fellows of Magdalene College, Cambridge"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Undetermined
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Unknown artist, twentieth century, The Savoy, Somerset House, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.