View of Sion House from the Banks of the Thames
- Aquatint and etching, with stipple engraving, hand-colored on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 15 9/16 x 20 1/8 inches (39.6 x 51.1 cm), Plate: 13 7/8 x 18 1/4 inches (35.2 x 46.3 cm), and Image: 11 3/4 x 16 5/8 inches (29.9 x 42.3 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower left: "8556"
Marked in blue ink, on back, center, collector's stamp: "Paul Mellon Collection"
Lettered, lower left: "Drawn by N. Pocock."; lower center: "View of SION HOUSE from the Banks of the Thames, | Dedicated by Permission to her Grace The Duchess of Northumberland, by her much obliged humble Serv,,t John Brydon. | London Published Sept.4 1 1799 by J. Brydon opposite Northumberland House Charing Cross."; lower right: "Engrav'd by J. Hassell."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | boat | boys | children | clouds | country house | family | fields | fishing | fishing pole | genre subject | horses (animals) | leisure | manor house | park (grounds) | playing | reeds | river | riverbank | rowboat | sailboat | trees
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
John Hassell, 1767–1825, British, View of Sion House from the Banks of the Thames, 1799
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.