IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Print made by Samuel Freeman, 1773–1857, British, William Aikman, undated
- Stipple engraving and etching on moderately thick, smooth, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 9 1/16 × 5 1/2 inches (23 × 13.9 cm), Image: 5 5/16 × 4 3/16 inches (13.5 × 10.6 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower right: "2/"
Lettered, lower center: "Engraved by S. Freeman. | WILLIAM AIKMAN. | FROM A PAINTING BY HIMSELF IN THE POSSESSION OF MRS. FORBES EDIN.R | BLACKIE & SON GLASGOW EDINBURGH & LONDON"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- artist | cravat | gaze | mantle | painter | portrait | portrait painter | posing | solemn | wig
- Associated People:
- Aikman, William, of Cairnie (1682–1731), portrait painter
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.