Mrs. Elizabeth Billington as St. Cecilia
- Additional Title(s):
Miss Elzabeth Weichsel, as St. Cecelia
- Part Of:
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, moderately textured, beige, laid paper
- Sheet (trimmed inside plate): 25 5/8 × 16 3/4 inches (65.1 × 42.5 cm) and Image: 25 × 16 5/16 inches (63.5 × 41.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower right: "Vol.1 P.40"
Lettered, lower left: "Painted by Sir Joshua Reynolds | From the Original Picture by Sr. Joshua Reynolds."; lettered, lower center: "MRS. BILLINGTON, AS ST. CECILIA."; lettered, lower right: "Engraved by Jas. Ward Painter & Engraver to H.R.H. the Prince of Wales | Hark! the numbers soft and clear"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- allegory | book | cherub | cloud | curls | flower (plant) | literary theme | opera | portrait | religious and mythological subject | robe | saint | sheet music | singer | singing | specific aspects ~ St. Cecilia | St. Cecilia as patroness of music | the virgin martyr Cecilia of Rome; possible attributes: falcon, musical instruments, organ, wreath of roses and lilies | woman | wreath
- Associated People:
- Billington, Elizabeth (1765–1818), singer
- View by request in the Study Room
YCBA Collections Search
James Ward, 1769–1859, British, Mrs. Elizabeth Billington as St. Cecilia, 1803
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.