- Mrs. Elizabeth Billington as St. Cecilia
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, moderately textured, beige, laid paper
- Sheet: 25 5/8 × 16 3/4 inches (65.1 × 42.5 cm) and Image: 25 × 16 5/16 inches (63.5 × 41.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower right: "Vol.1 P.40"
Lettered, lower left: "Painted by Sir Joshua Reynolds | From the Original Picture by Sr. Joshua Reynolds."; lettered, lower center: "MRS. BILLINGTON, AS ST. CECILIA."; lettered, lower right: "Engraved by Jas. Ward Painter & Engraver to H.R.H. the Prince of Wales | Hark! the numbers soft and clear"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- allegory | book | cherub | cloud | curls | flower (plant) | literary theme | opera | portrait | religious and mythological subject | robe | saint | sheet music | singer | singing | specific aspects ~ St. Cecilia | St. Cecilia as patroness of music | the virgin martyr Cecilia of Rome; possible attributes: falcon, musical instruments, organ, wreath of roses and lilies | woman | wreath
- Associated People:
- Billington, Elizabeth (1765–1818), singer
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
James Ward, 1769–1859, British, Mrs. Elizabeth Billington as St. Cecilia, 1803
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.