IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
James Ward, 1769–1859, British, Mrs. Elizabeth Billington as St. Cecilia, 1803
Mrs. Elizabeth Billington as St. Cecilia
- Additional Title(s):
Miss Elzabeth Weichsel, as St. Cecelia
- Part Of:
Collective Title: Iconographie Anglaise par Reynolds et Autres
- Mezzotint on moderately thick, moderately textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 25 5/8 × 16 3/4 inches (65.1 × 42.5 cm), Image: 25 × 16 5/16 inches (63.5 × 41.4 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower right: "Vol.1 P.40"
Lettered, lower left: "Painted by Sir Joshua Reynolds | From the Original Picture by Sr. Joshua Reynolds."; lettered, lower center: "MRS. BILLINGTON, AS ST. CECILIA."; lettered, lower right: "Engraved by Jas. Ward Painter & Engraver to H.R.H. the Prince of Wales | Hark! the numbers soft and clear"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- allegory | book | cherub | cloud | curls | flower (plant) | literary theme | opera | portrait | religious and mythological subject | robe | saint | sheet music | singer | singing | specific aspects ~ St. Cecilia | St. Cecilia as patroness of music | the virgin martyr Cecilia of Rome; possible attributes: falcon, musical instruments, organ, wreath of roses and lilies | woman | wreath
- Associated People:
- Billington, Elizabeth (1765–1818), singer
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.