Duke of Monmouth as a Boy
- Additional Title(s):
Illustrissimus et Potentissimus Princeps Iacobus Dux de Monmouth
- between 1673 and 1685
- Etching on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet (cropped inside plate): 13 9/16 x 10 1/4 inches (34.5 x 26 cm) and Image: 12 15/16 x 10 3/16 inches (32.9 x 25.8 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower center: "? By F. B(arlow) /2/2-"; lower right: "[...]"
Marked in brown ink, on back, lower center, collector's stamp: "Stephen Issacson Tucker"
Lettered, lower left: "(monogram) FB"; lower center inside image: "Sold by S. Lye at the Oval Frame against | the South Sea House in Bishop gate Street."; lower center below image: "ILLUS I RISSTMUS ET POTENTISSIMUS PRINCEPS JACOBUS DUX DE MONMOUTH & Buc= | [...]ugh, Comes de Doncafter, & Baro de Tindall, Whitchester, et Ashdale, et Eques Nobilssimi Ordims. | Aurece Pericelidis,"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of John Hay Whitney, Yale BA 1926, Yale MA (HON.) 1956, transfer from the Yale University Library and the Yale University Art Gallery
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- breeches | bridle | castle | city | doublet | flag | gun (small arm) | hat | hills | holster | horses (animals) | lace | men | plumes | portrait | procession | ruffs, sleeve | saddle | saddle blanket | soldiers | steeple | stirrups | sword | whip
- Associated People:
- Scott, James, Duke of Monmouth (1649 - 1685), military commander
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by unknown artist, Duke of Monmouth as a Boy, between 1673 and 1685
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.