- Tom Jones Assisting Molly Seagrim
- Etching on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 21 x 15 7/16 inches (53.4 x 39.2 cm), Plate: 15 1/2 x 14 1/16 inches (39.3 x 35.7 cm), and Image: 13 3/16 x 13 3/16 inches (33.5 x 33.5 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, center right along edge of paper: "153 . V [...]"; lower right: [...] | Stoog[...] | 609"
Lettered in black ink, along lower left border of oval image: "P. I. de Loutherbourg delin : t"; along lower center border of oval image: "V. M. Picot Ex. | The Landscape by W. Woollett."; along lower right border of oval image: "The Figures by F. Bartolozzi."; lower left: "TOM JONES, assisting MOLLY SEAGRIM, | In The CHURCH YARD | and REPELLING her ADVERSARIES. | VOL 1 .. BOOK IV, | VIDE | CHAP VIII, PAGE 190."; lower center: "This Plate is DEDICATED to John Pitt Esq.r | By His MOST OBEDIENT HUMBLE SERVANT | coat of arms in center | V. M. PICOT | London Pub July 26th, 1782 by J. Birchall N473 Strand."; lower right: "TOM JONES, assistant MOLLY SEAGRIM, | Dans Le Cimetiere | en REPOUSSANT ses ADVERSAIRES. | VOL. 1, BOOK IV, | VIDE | CHAP VIII, P190."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Yale Art Gallery Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architecture | bones (material) | breeches (trousers) | cemetery | church | churchyard | circle (plane figure) | coat | coat of arms | comedy | comic | conflict | costume | crest | dress | fighting | grave | hats | literary theme | men | novel | oval | ransack | religious building | shovel | skull (skeleton component) | The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling | tombstone | tondo | trees | tricorne | violence | waistcoat | weapons | whip | women
- Associated People:
- Molly Seagrim
Pitt, John, Esq., second earl of Chatham (1756–1835), army officer
Picot, Victor Marie (1744-1805), printmaker and publisher
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Francesco Bartolozzi RA, 1728–1815, Italian, active in Britain (1764–99), Tom Jones Assisting Molly Seagrim, 1782
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.