The Black Cloak
- Former Title(s):
Portrait of Mrs. Mellon
- Additional Title(s):
Portrait of Miss Mellon
Mary Conover Mellon
- Etching, stipple engraving, and drypoint on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 12 3/8 x 9 1/2 inches (31.5 x 24.2 cm), Plate: 9 15/16 x 7 15/16 inches (25.2 x 20.2 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left: "The Black Cloak (Portrait of Miss Mellon.)"
Lettered in black ink, within image, upper righgt, reversed: "G·L· Brockhurst | - 1943 -"
Signed and dated in graphite, lower right: "Gerald Brockhurst | 1944"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, The G. Allen Smith Collection, transfer from the Yale University Art Gallery
- Copyright Status:
- © Estate of the Artist
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bracelet (jewelry) | cloak | curls | hand | pendant (jewelry) | portrait | shadow | woman
- Associated People:
- Mellon, Mary Conover (1904–1946)
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Gerald Leslie Brockhurst, 1890–1978, British, The Black Cloak, 1944
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.